Stocks in the Asia-Pacific region exhibited mixed performance on Tuesday, October 24. While the Hong Kong market experienced its fourth consecutive decline, other markets saw gains.
Hong Kong Stocks Decline
The Hang Seng Index (HSI) in Hong Kong was down 1.1% at 16,991.53, reflecting a downturn in the market. On the other hand, Japan’s Nikkei 225 Index (NIK) rose by 0.2% to 31,062.35, showcasing a slight increase.
Chinese Companies Experience Growth
Chinese companies registered positive growth, with The Shanghai Composite Index (SHCOMP) increasing by 0.8% to reach 2,962.24. Similarly, the FTSE Straits Times Index (STI) in Singapore saw a gain of 1.1% to reach 3,086.19.
Other Market Highlights
- South Korea’s KOSPI Composite Index (180721) recorded a growth of 1.1%, reaching 2,383.51.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 Benchmark Index (XJO) increased by 0.2% to reach 6,856.90.
Notable Market Movements
Hang Seng Index Constituents
- Hansoh Pharmaceutical (3692) experienced a significant increase of 12.1% on Tuesday.
- China Hongqiao Group (1378) and CSPC Pharmaceutical Group (1093) saw gains of 3.8% and 3.2%, respectively.
- Xinyi Solar Holdings (968) witnessed a significant decrease of 4.7%.
Nikkei 225 Index Constituents
- Hoya Corp (7741), an optical instruments company, observed the largest increase with shares rising by 3.4%.
- Shiseido (4911), a cosmetics/toiletries firm, and Mitsui Mining & Smelting (5706), a non-ferrous metals company, experienced gains of 3.4% and 2.9%, respectively.
- Nidec (6594), an electrical components/equipment company, recorded the largest decline with shares plunging by 10.5%.