Asia-Pacific stocks posted gains on Wednesday, Aug 23. The Japanese market experienced its third consecutive session of growth while Hong Kong’s market saw its second consecutive session of gains.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index HK:HSI rose by 0.3% to 17,845.92.
- The Nikkei 225 Index JP:NIK, which represents Japanese companies, increased by 0.5% to 32,010.26.
- China’s Shanghai Composite Index CN:SHCOMP dropped by 1.3% to 3,078.40.
- Singapore’s FTSE Straits Times Index SG:STI gained by 0.6% to 3,178.04.
- South Korea’s KOSPI Composite Index KR:180721 declined by 0.4% to 2,505.50.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 Benchmark Index AU:XJO increased by 0.4% to 7,148.40.
Among the constituents of the Nikkei 225 Index, Panasonic Holdings JP:6752, a personal electronics company, experienced the largest increase with a gain of 4.8%. Kansai Electric Power JP:9503, a multiutilities firm, and Sumitomo Pharma JP:4506, a pharmaceuticals company, also performed well, with gains of 4.0% and 3.8% respectively.
In Japan, Nippon Sheet Glass JP:5202, a glass/glass products company, saw the largest decrease on Wednesday, with shares falling by 5.7%. Nissan Chemical JP:4021, a fertilizers firm, and Mitsubishi JP:8058, a wholesalers company, also saw declines of 1.1%.
For the constituents of the Hang Seng Index, Anta Sports Products HK:2020, a sports clothing/footwear company, experienced the largest increase with shares rising by 9.7%. Baidu HK:9888, an internet search engines firm, and China Rscs Beer Holdings HK:291, an alcoholic beverages/drinks company, also showed gains of 4.4% and 2.9% respectively.
On the other hand, Country Garden Holdings HK:2007, a real estate services/transactions company, experienced the largest decrease in Hong Kong, with shares dropping by 6.7% on Wednesday. Xinyi Solar Holdings HK:968, a renewable energy equipment firm, and Galaxy Entertainment Grp HK:27, a gambling industries company, also weakened with declines of 3.1% and 2.5%.